Friday, March 19, 2010

I don't know what day it is...

It's Friday but I haven't been keeping track of the number of days we've been here. Tomorrow is we start to load-in to the chapel. Today we are prepping for load-in. Hopefully by this afternoon I will have a plot together. Ed still hasn't really decided on lighting and sound cues but we have a basic idea from our first story meeting when we all arrived a week or so ago. I only have 16 1.2Kw dimmers so there's definitely limitations. I think the structure I've worked out with Kee clamps and pipe will work out pretty good. It's going to be a giant table 4.8m X 3m and 5.4m high (that's approx. 18ft. for those of you who don't measure in Spanish. After I explain what size to make something, they all go looking for the bi-lingual tape measure.) My 'muchachos' are building it in the courtyard right now so I can be sure we have enough of the right fittings to make it strong enough and not sway too much. We did 2ft. little mock-ups earlier in the week to sort out the fittings. they actually made great work tables while we were soldering SOCA ends.

I seem to have the biggest and most eager crew so far. Saul, Josue, Manuel, Eric, Hector, and Douglas. Hector and Douglas are video guys who are interested lighting a little bit. They are with us sporadically because they are also taping alot of footage. I'm not exactly sure what for but there is often a camera lense over our shoulders. Hector is actually fixing one of the industrial sewing machines right now for Mel, and I found out the other night that Josue used to do audio editing for the radio station. Saul and Josue seem to be the oldest. I think they are in their early twenties. They all jump right in and own every project I set them off on. I've been really trying to make it theirs as much as possible. I wish I had my own translator, and we could do some more theory. There's still lots of time next week to show them why I suggested doing something a certain way. I've also been tryin to instill in them that we, as stagehands, do a bit of everything. We are the arms and legs of the organization. I sent Manuel off the get a sewing machine stand welded back together, and we build costume racks and storage in between lighting projects.

I'm glad I took the training we did in Ottawa. I hope everyone who comes down here does it. And does it all. I can see how easy it is for me to take ownership of this project for myself and it's not about me, it's about them. And at the same time, it should be what they need and want, not what we think they need or want. For instance, just because we think we need to get things done on a Sunday, doesn't mean that it fits into their culture. And we're not here to change their culture. I am constantly aware of not being the arrogant gringo from the north who 'knows better'. As I see it, we are here to help them tell their own stories and spread their own culture in their own ways. And hopefully I can give them guidance as to how to pull it off safer, or more effectively. I find myself taking ownership in this project the longer I am here. I can see how someone (maybe me eventually) could get frustrated with the pace or style of things here. I'm trying to balance, pushing their limits so they can grow, yet keeping in mind, that it's not my project. It's a very delicate balance with no time to assimilate and truly understand you surroundings and the community. Okay, rant over...

It's peculiar here, the things they have and the things they don't. Mario is fiber-glassing and Conejo is making jewellery with his Dremel. All of my guys have cell phones and they use them as their personal music player when they sit down to solder or make cables. Yet, we can't get shelving to save our lives. Electricity is another challenge at Es Artes (the office). All of the lights are wired with lamp cord stapled to the rafters, running from socket to socket. All of the walls are adobe so everything needs to be surface mounted, we have to hang bulletin boards etc. from the rafters too. (I believe they rent this space so that's another reason we can't make holes in the walls.) I bought them a bunch of sheathed wire (couldn't get BX) because Tito asked me if I could do some electrical work to the place. Then the container showed up so we've all been working on show related projects. However, Tim Hanson is a God send. In the container we had enough parts and wire to make many extensions cords with duplex boxes so while it's not ideal with all of the cords running along the walls, we've been able to keep two industrial sewing machines, one domestic, an iron, a soldering station, a test circuit for lamps and cables, some various grinders, hot glue guns etc and a sound system for the shop running smoothly.

Paramos para almoczar! means stop for lunch. That's my daily exclamation around noon. everyone giggles at my spanish but I think (and hope) they appreciate that I'm trying to speak their language. The project feeds everyone lunch everyday in appreciation for their help. We all walk down to Villa Balanza and eat together everyday. The cast also goes for lunch there before they start their rehearsals at 1pm. So it's that time now, I'm signing off. More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment